Saturday, October 10, 2015

Baby Name Sign DIY Tutorial


I love the idea of name signs in a child's nursery! They can be so fun, colorful, and add a touch of personality to a room. When decorating my daughter's nursery, I decided to make my own name sign.

Here's what I used:

- Wooden letter cutouts
- Scrapbooking paper to cover the letter cutouts
- Acrylic paint to match the paper above
- Mod Podge
- Pencil
- Paintbrush

I wanted to have fun, bright colors for my daughter's name sign, so I chose some scrapbook papers that had a variety of colorful floral and geometric patterns. I think you could really play with different patterns and colors depending on the gender and the theme of your nursery!

Here's how I made it:


1. Start first by flipping the letter cutout so that you are looking at it backwards and place it on top of the backside of the scrapbook paper. Now trace and cut out the letter! Put your new paper letter cutout to the side for later.

2. Start painting the sides of the letter cutout with a contrasting or matching paint color. Let it dry. (Otherwise, you will end up like me and have a bit of the paint getting on the front side of the letter).

3. Paint Mod Podge over the top of the letter cutout.


4. Place your set aside scrapbooking paper cutout on top of the wooden letter cutout VERY carefully!


5. Place more Mod Podge on top of the scrapbooking paper. You can use your paintbrush to help smooth out any wrinkles that form. I also use my fingers and fold down the edges of paper that stick out from the letter. Let it dry. 

6. Repeat for any other letters you may have!

7. Hang up your letters with some command strips. I used one large strip per letter, and it worked great. For the "A," since the tip of the letter was very thin, I cut one large strip in half lengthwise, and attached it to each side of the "A."

And voila! There you have it! After everything is dry, you have yourself a cute little name sign for your baby's nursery! Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment